Monday, May 12, 2014

Say what?!

So, the last post that was written was the announcement of the unexpected pregnancy of our 5th child. Well, he is here. Yes, it is a he. Am I disappointed? No. Well, not now anyway. There was a part of me that thought I knew what God was doing when we once again found out we were pregnant and had not yet had a daughter. I thought, "oh wow, He is going to miraculously bless us with a daughter now that we've surrendered and realized NOTHING is in our hands." So, I can honestly say that when we found out it was a boy, again, my heart sank a little.

 On November 22, 2013 I met and fell in love with yet another boy. His name is Sterling Isaac Teefey and because of his sweet face and human form being brought into this world, I will never be the same. Sterling isn't just another boy! He is an amazing miracle that God chose to entrust to us.  Holy Heck. Why was I every disappointed? I didn't see the privilege of being a mother to this incredible little man, but now I do.

All that to say, I want to tell you about something I heard not too long ago. It's not much different than many of the things John and I hear on a daily basis, but it really kind of lit me on fire. I was picking up some things for my Dad at the small grocery store down from his house a few weeks ago. While I was walking down an aisle I overheard the conversation at the front of the store. The employee obviously new the man who was purchasing the items at the register. She said to him, "Congratulations on that new grand baby!" The man was being very thankful for the acknowledgment when another employee proceeded to ask if it was a boy or a girl. After the man told her it was a boy the employee stated very loudly, " Oh no! that's no fun. I'm so sorry!"

I'm pretty sure my mouth dropped and an eye roll flared even though I was clearly alone in the aisle looking for some chicken noodle soup. It saddens my heart that people are so down on having boys in this country. I do not doubt for one second that having a daughter is something very special, but come on mommas of boys. We have such a cool job. Scary? Yes, but a privilege to raise up men to be truth tellers, gospel lovers, women honorers, faithful husbands, orphan helpers, hard workers, etc... We need more of these. Little boys can't be pushed aside anymore and accepted as "the rowdy ones". They are unique as boys and need to be treated as such, but they also need guidance and instruction on how to love the Lord and be honoring to others.

It's hard work, I admit. There are days that I am exhausted and would rather give up. I'm so thankful that the God of this world doesn't let me give up. He grants me the grace to keep on going; to keep on fighting for them and with them. He longs to see them as men who bring Glory to His name. He loves them more than I ever will. Therefore, we have to believe, He is on our side. He is on their side, even when the grocery store employees aren't :).

No comments:

Post a Comment