Friday, January 18, 2013

My Child Puked Into My Mouth

  So, you ever had one of your kids throw up in your mouth?  Not, like, "Oh, I think a little of that vomit got into my mouth."  No, more like, "wow, most of that vomit is now in my mouth."  It reminded me of the SNL skit where the family chews up their food for each other (picture).

At about 5:00, our oldest son called me and said, "Dad, you need to come home right now.  Andrew is throwing up and mommy is sad.  You need to come home right now."  Fortunately, I was already on the road and almost home that night.  The twins had both been sick for a couple days, and poor Andrew couldn't keep anything down that day.  I walk in the door, and Lins is holding Andrew as Owen screams from his highchair.  Manning is running around yelling about something, and Elijah is slowly stroking Andrew's head (he's our lover).  I can quickly tell Lins needs a break, so she hands Andrew over to me.  For whatever reason my mouth apparently was as wide open as humanly possible and Andrew immediately shared most of his dinner with me...Shared it directly with me. I may never know why he strategically waited until Lins handed him over to me.
  Now, this seemed like a highly contagious transaction, and I was certain that the flu immediately engulfed my body.    But here I sit nearly 5 days later symptom free.  Although, I was looking forward to the following conversation:

PERSON:  Aw man, you got the flu?  How do you think you got it?

ME:  I'm pretty sure that I caught it when my son puked in my mouth.

3 comments:

  1. this happens to the best of us. when lincoln was just starting to eat fruit he had a serious jones for strawberries. so when i get home from work i pick him up above my head to sing him the song of my people, when he suddenly and without warning lets a spray of strawberry/formula puke right into my mouth. bullseye. it tasted like a strawberry milkshake that had been left in a car all afternoon on a warm summer's day. it changed me in a way i am not able to fully describe. i feel like that was the day i lost my innocence. glad to hear you didn't get sick from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I puked in my Dad's beard when I was 2. It made him start puking too, and my Mom was laughing. He couldn't get the smell out and shaved it off. He has never had a beard since (36 years later).

    These are the stories that we remember forever. =)

    ReplyDelete